Call 0844 453 0118 to contact the UK DVLA customer service department.DVLA

Do you need the number to contact DVLA to get in touch about driving licences, car tax, registration plates and much more? We can put you in touch with the DVLA today to get a resolution to your problems as soon as possible. Call 0844 453 0118 to speak to the customer service team.

Why might I need to contact the DVLA?

Here are just some of the issues that the DVLA can help you with:

  • I have lost my driving licence
  • I would like to apply for the UK driving licence
  • I wish to purchase or sell a private registration plate
  • I would like information about driving with a disability
  • I have a medical condition that affects my driving
  • I would like information about licensing other vehicles such as buses, lorries and motorbikes
  • I wish to make a complaint about the DVLA

Useful Telephone Numbers

Contact Number
DVLA Road Tax Enquiries 0844 453 0118
DVLA Medical Enquiries 0844 453 0118
DVLA Swansea Head Office 0844 453 0118

DVLA Opening Times

Day Opening Times
Monday 08:00 to 19:00
Tuesday 08:00 to 19:00
Wednesday 08:00 to 19:00
Thursday 08:00 to 19:00
Friday 08:00 to 19:00
Saturday 08:00 to 14:00

What is the DVLA?

The DVLA is a government department that was formed in the mid-1960s in order to oversee many of the road issues citizens face in the United Kingdom. The DVLA, which stands for the Driver And Vehicle Licensing Agency, maintains a database of all the people who have driving licences in the country. In doing so, it is able to monitor which road users do or do not have car tax, issue assistance to those that have disabilities, and use their Vehicle Identity Check to track road crime around the United Kingdom. The agency is part of the Department For Transport. There used to be 39 local offices based in different cities around the country but the agency now operates solely out of its location in Swansea, Wales.

DVLA Swansea Contact Number & Address

Drivers can get in touch with the DVLA Swansea contact number on 0844 453 0118 between 8am in the morning and 6pm of an evening during the week. You can also ring them between 8am and 2pm on Saturdays. These details are dependent on the specific department you need to contact, and they may be closed on certain holidays.

You can also write to the agency at:

Drivers Customer Services
Correspondence Team


How To Get A Driving Licence

If you wish to become a driver, the DVLA can provide you with your first provisional driving licence in order to start learning. You must be 17 years of age or older if you wish to drive a car or 16 years of age to drive a moped or quad bike. However, applications can be made within 3 months of your birthday in order to account for the time needed to process them. You must provide an address where you have lived for over three years when you apply as well as a UK passport.

Applications should be made online or via the post. If you do it online there will be a £34 fee payable by debit or credit card. Should you choose to do the latter and apply by post, you must complete a D1 form and send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AD with a cheque payable to the DVLA for £43. The DVLA customer service team can be contacted with any enquiries regarding this application.

Get Your Own Unique Registration Number

If you wish to make your car unique, you may be interested in getting a personalised registration plate for your vehicle. You can either enter the registration plate you have in mind into a search engine, which you can find on a unique DVLA registrations website.

There are over 45 million options available from this search engine. However, you can also attend an auction for certain special registration plates that occur regularly throughout the year. These registration plates cost £80 and the DVLA will send you a Certificate Of Entitlement and, eventually, a Registration Certificate. If you have issues with any of these aspects of your registration number, the DVLA contact number is available for assistance.

How The DVLA Can Help Elderly Or Disabled Drivers

The DVLA contact number will also be able to put you in touch with a department who can help drivers who are elderly or living with a disability. The Driver And Vehicle Licensing Agency is responsible for bus pass applications. When you reach the female state pension age you will be able to apply for a pass that allows you to travel on buses for free, regardless of what gender you are. The DVLA can also help you apply for or renew your Blue Badge, which allows people with disabilities to park close to where they need to be by displaying a badge on their windscreen window.

Driving with a medical condition

The Driver And Vehicle Licensing Agency is responsible for overseeing everything to do with medical conditions in relation to driving. If you are a driver who has a pre-existing medical condition that has worsened since you began driving, or you have developed a medical condition since you acquired a licence, you must contact DVLA’s customer service department. Not every medical condition needs reporting, of course, but the agency must be made aware of any that could put you or any other road user at harm. These could include visual impairments or physical disabilities. Failure to do so can result in a fine of up to £1000, and if you have an accident due to an unreported medical condition you may face prosecution.

The DVLA will decide within six weeks whether you are fit to drive having taken into account your condition. They may also contact your GP, arrange for an independent medical check or require you to take a miniature driving assessment to ensure the correct decision is made. Once this is done, the DVLA can decide to revoke your licence, make you drive a car suitable for those with medical conditions or allow you to drive as normal (sometimes with a review at the end of a 1-3 year period).

DVLA Vehicle Registration

You must register a vehicle after you have bought/built it. You can do this by filling in forms and submitting them to the DVLA. You might find that the DVLA will come out to inspect your vehicle, to make sure it exists, or to make note of changes that you have made to the vehicle. There is no fee if this occurs, and you’ll be sent a letter to inform you.

If you buy a new vehicle, the dealer will usually register the vehicle on your behalf- if they do, you’ll receive a logbook within 6 weeks. A used vehicle should already have a registration ticket- the DVLA advises that you shouldn’t buy it if it doesn’t. Always check your certificate to ensure that all the details are correct.

Registering new vehicles

If you’re registering and taxing a vehicle with the DVLA for the first time, you’ll have to pay a fee of £55. You can pay this fee by either cheque or postal order. You will find that the fee isn’t required for certain types of vehicles, such as vehicles first registered in the disabled exemption class, vehicles which have been previously registered in Northern Ireland, visiting forces vehicles and vehicles which are registered only for use off-road. To check if your vehicle needs to be registered, it is best to inform the DVLA.

Contacting the DVLA about Vehicle Tax and SORN

You can call the DVLA contact number on this website to get assistance regarding the vehicle tax and SORN. The rates of vehicle tax depend on the engine size, fuel type and level of CO2 emissions. The lower the emissions, the less that your vehicle tax will cost. Many newer cars have no vehicle tax to pay because they have low emissions, however, you still need to ‘pay’. If you know the details of the vehicle, you can find out how much the vehicle tax will be using the online service.

Applying for car tax for HGV

To tax an HGV vehicle, you must apply for form V85 in person at a Post Office branch which deals with vehicle tax enquiries. HGV tax is required for lorries that are over 3.5 tonnes when they have been loaded. You will need to have the log book in order to apply. The amount of tax you are required to pay will depend on your vehicle’s tax band and whether it has a reduced pollution certificate.

Contacting the DVLA about driving licences

DVLA Driving Licence

You can apply for your initial provisional licence, and other licences such as motorcycle licences, online. The process is relatively short, but you will need to upload a recent photograph of yourself in a passport style format. If you have a Government Gateway ID, you can apply using that in order to save some time. The provisional licence costs £34 and should arrive within a week if you apply online. If it doesn’t arrive within this timeframe, you can contact the DVLA on the number above to chase up your application.

Driving Licence Renewals

If you have a UK passport which is in date, you can use the Government website to renew your driving licence. The fee is £14 and the licence should arrive within a week. Once your new licence has arrived, you must send off your old licence to the DVLA- the new licence is valid from the date that you renew, rather than the date it arrives. Once you have applied, the DVLA will check the information that you have provided with HMRC and send you a confirmation email acknowledging your application.

For more information about DVLA services, call the DVLA contact number on this page.

DVLA Car Tax

You can tax your vehicle with the DVLA via your V11 form. If you no longer have this, you can use your V5C form. You can get a replacement for this over on the DVLA website if you no longer have yours. You can also tax your vehicle using your V5C/2 or your last chance letter warning, which you will have received in advance. You can also do this over the phone, as well as at the post office. You’ll need either your V5C, V5C/2 forms or your last chance letter, as well as your valid MOT test certificate when taxing your vehicle this way. If you don’t use your vehicle anymore on public roads, you can make a SORN ( Statutory Off Road Notification) instead of taxing it. SORN allows an untaxed vehicle to sit in a garage, on a drive or on private land. It’s a free service, and you won’t have to tax your car again until you’re ready to put it back on the roads.

DVLA Number Plates

In 1903, the Motor Car Act was implemented in the UK. The now famous, “A1” license plate was first issued to Earl Russel, who had his butler line up overnight in order to bag that exact plate. Now, the registration is currently owned by Prince Jefri, the brother of the Sultan of Brunel. License plates, especially personalised ones, are seen to be very desirable in the UK, and can’t cost any amount up to £500 000. You can also buy registered license plates from other online stores. However, with the DVLA registration plate service you know that your new license plate will be legitimate and trustworthy.

DVLA Vehicle Enquiry

The DVLA Vehicle Enquiry Service is new and still in testing, however, you can use its beta test over on the government website. The service can be used if you would like to check a vehicle’s specifications before you buy it. All you need to do when searching for the car is enter the registration plate and vehicle make. Once you have done this, you can see when its current tax expires, along with when its MOT expires. You will also be able to see its SORN status, as well as its engine size and current vehicle tax rate. This service is perfect for those who would like to research a car they wish to buy before viewing it in person. Sometimes it’s hard to believe the information given to you by sellers and/or car garages. This service gives you the facts up front.